Marcus is a partner in the London Dispute Resolution Group.
A highly experienced marine litigator and Master Mariner, Marcus has a broad practice spanning both dry-shipping, offshore and Admiralty matters, both contentious and non-contentious.
A recognised expert in offshore and LNG shipping, he has been engaged as legal advisor to leading international industry body SIGTTO (Society of International Gas Tanker & Terminal Operators Ltd) for many years and sits on Lloyd’s Register’s Classification Committee.
He is recommended by Legal 500 UK 2021, who describe him as being “very well-regarded for his incisive and well-thought-out advice, particularly on casualty matters.”
- Advising on various disputes arising under LNG charterparties and contracts of affreightment, including issues relating to performance, off-hire, regulatory compliance, necessary modifications, vetting and approvals, warranted condition and capabilities.
- Review and negotiation of various long-term charterparties, building contracts and supplemental build contracts, acting for either the prospective owners, charterers or financiers of modern LNG carriers (including ice-class).
- Advising the charterers of a bulk carrier in a high-value unsafe port dispute with associated general average, salvage and dangerous cargo and non-performance claims arising under a contract of affreightment.
- Advising owners of an LNG carrier in a collision, involving multiple disputes across four jurisdictions in relation to liability, security, forum non conveniens, limitation of liability, limitation funds and anti-suit injunction proceedings and issues.
- Advising owners of a wind-farm installation vessel and P&I Club in relation to salvage/SCOPIC and eventual wreck removal operations, including the tender process, drafting and negotiation of bespoke lump-sum wreck removal contracts with staged payment elements.
- 2000 CPE – UWE
- 2001 LPC – UWE
MEMBERSHIPS and associations
- Master Mariner (Class 1 Foreign Going – British)
- Younger Brother of the Corporation of Trinity House
- Member of Classification Committee of Lloyd’s Register
- Freeman of Honourable Company of Master Mariners